Asphalt Shingles Installation by JB Roofing, Illinois Roofer
Asphalt shingles installation is one of the most popular, cost efficient, long lasting, and extremely reliable types of roofs in Illinois. Although at JB Roofing we specialize and highly recommend installations of just two grades of GAF Timberline asphalt shingles (30 and 50 year warranty), we can install any brand of your choice.
Why GAF Timberline asphalt shingles installation?
GAF Timberline asphalt shingles are currently the most popular on the Illinois market (and nationally), simply because of the exceptional quality, very competitive price, and warranty that comes with it.
To compliment manufacturer’s product warranty we provide our own 10 year labor warranty on our asphalt shingles roof installation.
There are a few things that we always recommend to our clients before even attempting asphalt shingles installation.
- Home attic evaluation
- Roof tear off and a fresh layer of shingles installation instead of a second layer of asphalt shingles installation on top of the old one
- Ridge vent installation
Home attic evaluation
On many occasions our clients discovered heavy attic mold contamination after the asphalt shingles installation. Some of them were notified about mold by a home inspector soon after putting their home on the market. Such information usually carries a pretty high price tag (for mold remediation process) and often breaks your real estate transaction.
If you’re unfortunate to have your attic contaminated with black mold consider removing those decking boards at the time of asphalt shingles installation. To make sure that you’re getting a lot of value with this decision, obtain some estimates from a couple of mold remediation companies (ask for media blasting) and from the roofers (for contaminated decking replacement). Remember that you’re replacing your roof anyway.
Roof tear off and a fresh layer of shingles installation
Asphalt shingles installation over the old layer will definitely save you money! You can have MAX 2 layers of asphalt shingles installed on your roof in Illinois, unless there’s a very weak roof frame which would require reinforcement.However, the benefits of a slightly pricier old roof tear off and a fresh roof installation are worth your consideration.
- Single layer of asphalt shingles lasts much longer than a second layer
- he surface of a single layer shingles is much more uniform, smoother than the double layer roof
- There’s less load and stress on the roof’s structure
- The shingles cool down faster thus keeping your home’s attic cooler
- Whenever you decide to add a skylight or any other roof penetration, the process is much easier / leak proof, and faster on a single layer roof
- If your double layer roof starts leaking it might be very difficult to pin point direct location of the problem